Friday, December 12, 2008

Lean On Me

Written 7-12-08

I was so sleep deprived while writing my last letter, and I forgot to thank a few people. I find that being constantly surrounded by the greatest friends anyone could ask for makes every day so much better, and I am thankful for the companionship, laughter and light you have bestowed on me so graciously. Alex and Gini Lowe, for your constant hospitality, love, and the Merseyside Derby. Natalie Kissane for your friendship through multiple cups of coffee and conversations. James O'Mahony, Baker O'Sullivan and Jason O'Sullivan for your laughter and potatoes, you crazy Irish bastards. Shaun Edgerley for the terrorist firetruck Lego hour and for knowing how to push all my buttons. I expext my UK Government Drinking Pass anyday now. Brittney Covey, for your spirit. Jim and Sandy for your inspiration and unwavering support. John Martin, Tony, James and Sue for your matching jumpers and the Pineapple Express. (Tony, I will never forget how you ripped off your shirt to Eye of the Tiger in O'Neills) To Dougie McGilvray for the haggis, Shaolin Soccer and your fabulous accent, I promise that one day I will show you Austin. Simon McKay for your smile. Rishi Dave for your laughter. Simon Day for your fantastic shoe collection and your stories. And to the regulars still drinking at the Selkirk pub, you are all crazy. I find that it's my friends who teach me the most about life. Through our actions and dedication to each other, or simply being there for one another when needed is the greatest gift anyone could give. I was thinking a lot about friendship the other day as I sat on a bus headed back to Malaysia from Singapore. I spent an amazing few days with some wonderful people, the time dubbed "Fear and Loathing in Singapore" by the collective group. When it was over we said our goodbyes and walked off down our individual paths. It's quite an intense stir of emotions, the Traveling Friendship. Like speed dating you bond, travel, and experience the most amazing things together in a very small window of time. In the end though, we are all nomads and must move when the wind compells us. Sometimes we move in the same direction, sometimes not, and it's always a little heart-breaking when the seperation happens, no matter how long you spent together. It's funny how I even meet half the people I meet. Jean Michel and I met in the Qatar airport and were joined at the hip. We picked up Michael from Sweden at a hostel in Malaca, and all went to Singapore together in a spontaneous flurry. There we meet Zack from Alaska who was sitting at the next table drinking a beer while we ate breakfast. In a grand total of two days we ran all over Singapore like kids who ate a bag of sugar and were set free in a toy store. When it was time for Jean Michel and I to pick up our backpacks and head to the bus station, a silence fell over us for the first time in days, and I was thankful to not take the bus trip alone. What were we going to do without each other? Who else would understand our inside jokes and unexplained laughter? And two days later in Kuala Lumpor, I packed my bag and walked to the bus stop myself, bound for Tanah Rata in the Cameron Highlands.

Saying goodbye to Jean Michel was heart-wrenching. Just like leaving my friends in London, I wondered what it would take to fill the void. We were like siblings, the two of us, and who knows when we will see each other again. I often prefer to travel alone because it forces me to meet new people and I hate compromising, so the trip alone and the last few days have been nice for me. Such is life. As I've said before, it's my friends who teach me the most:

THINGS I HAVE LEARNED IN ASIA (so far)

1. If an Asian looks you in the eye and tell you something is spicy, for the love of all things Holy, please listen to him.

2. They don't like toilet paper here, and instead prefer a hose that blasts out water to clean yourself with. I don't like it, and like every self-respecting traveler I now carry toilet paper with me everywhere I go.

3. Malaysia is a predominately Muslim country, and I've been struggling to keep my shoulders, stomach and knees covered in a very HOT country. I still get stared at lot, but at least I'm making an attempt to be respectful of their religion and customs without wearing a sari or burka.

4. No one goes to a doctor unless they are dying. It's easier to go to a pharmacist who will diagnose your symptoms and give you cheap medicine. I know this because I'm apparently allergic to something here and currently look like I have the chicken pox.

5. The word for 'Thank you' in Malay is 'Terima kasih,' and I get a big smile and a 'Sama sama,' (Your welcome) every time I say it.

All is good.
Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment