Friday, December 12, 2008

The Truth Shall Set Us Free

Written 21-5-08

There is something terribly wrong with the world.

It revealed itself to me, not in a dream or vision, but wrapped in silver. If you must know, technically it came from a silver colored package labeled "American Airlines Premium Snack Mix."

I thought I was safe. It's professional packaging, the American Airlines Corporation logo ensuring the snack to be of "Premium" quality. Through the comfort of conformity I felt the peace of knowing what was to come. At first I struggled to open it, as if it didn't want me to discover the truth behind the shiny plastic exterior. After great effort, tugging and swearing, it yielded to the power of my stubbornness, not to mention hunger. Little did I know what lay ahead.

The package boasted "a blend of pretzels, honey roasted sesame sticks and cheddar corn bites." On examining the contents I found fourteen pretzels, three honey roasted sesame sticks, and zero cheddar corn bites. What false advertising! What abomination of truth! With only these three options listed and only two available, I turned to the ingredients list for a clue. To my astonishment I was to find fifty-seven different listed ingredients and no answers, so my gaze shifted back to the contents of my tray-table. Something I hadn't noticed before catches my eye. My jaw drops.

How extraordinary. The perfect exercise of social hierarchy. Using salt, the arch-nemesis of all sweet-flavored treats, the pretzels had taken over. Their hard, stale exterior, their burnt demeanor could not hide the caste system which they abandonned their morals to. Were they jealous of the sesame sticks' sweet nature? Or skin color? Or difference in appearance? Or were they simply made to believe that they, the Mighty Pretzels, were born above the rest, ordained by a higher power, or in this case the King Nut Companies and Kanan Enterprises?

I speak of the injustice and demolition of culture of the honey roasted tribe, but where are the cheddar corn bites? Were they natural with a cheesy zest, as the name suggests? We will never know as it seems every crumb of their existence has been wiped off the side of the bag, now only an echo of the past. Perhaps Kanan Enterprises can team up with Hallmark and have a holiday dedicated to the mixing of pretzel and corn bite traditions, before mass-murdering them and taking their bag space!

Faced with injustice, what would you do? The American Airlines Corporation Superpower chooses to ignore it in the greedy pursuit of saving money. We are taught to not forget the past, or we will be doomed to repeat it. I call out to all of you: Women, Men, Pretzels, and Kings, and ask you to stand for what you know in your heart is right. To not take for granted the difference in tastes and cultures we have been blessed with in this Life. I beg you, put down the guns and the rock salt, the invisible social constraints, and embrace the differences that make the world unique.

I could have been hallucinating. At the time I was on my fourth airplane of the day. And yet, the prophet Chex Mix once said, "Love thy Neighbor." My eyes are open, I see the light, the truth, and it has set me free. How pure and simple it all is.

No comments:

Post a Comment