Friday, December 12, 2008

Words to Live By

Written 15-1-08

"Once the travel bug bites there is no known antidote, and I know that I shall be happily infected until the end of my life"-Michael Palin (of Monty Python)

"It had been another gringo folly, an alcohol-soaked sunstroke vision of paradise driven by ego and lack of any geographical knowledge whatsoever of the region."-Jimmy Buffet

"Perhaps," Mr. Sedgwick said. "I see you´re in a hurry to get someplace. It´s a great mistake to hurry."
"Why?" Joe asked, puzzled by almost everything the traveler said.
"Because the grave´s our destination," Mr. Sedgwick said. "Those who hurry usually get to it quicker than those who take their time. Now me, I travel, and when I´ll get anywhere is anybody´s guess. If you two hadn´t come along I´d have stood there in that river for another hour or two. The moving waters are ever a beautiful sight."-Lonesome Dove

"Nearly all the best things that came to me in life have been unexpected, unplanned by me."-Carl Sandburg

Two days ago, I got a strange vibe from Tulum. This is the first time this has happened in over a month. Then the goddamn travel bug started itching. Again. I sent out hope into the world, looking for a sign, and a few were returned. Yesterday I decided to go to Honduras, by way of Guatemala. The vague and hazy plan is to get my Dive Master´s license in Utila, a small island off the Honduras coastline. It´s really cheap to do there, will take 4-6 weeks, and it´s a definite possibility. Plus is met a really nice dive instructor working in Utila who I got a really great vibe from, and if I want to get my certification, I want to do it there. Plus I hear I could get some work there easily. Basically, I´m just following good vibes and feelings.

Besides, Tulum is leaking. It´s been raining on and off for 2 days, and I have a feeling that if I stay here, the Tulum Black Hole will swallow me with it´s beautiful beaches and flowing booze machines, and I´ll just die here. I´ve been here for over a month now, I feel very comfortable here with my friends and a good job...so it´s quite logical that I need to get the hell out as fast as I can, so I can once again wander around, with that lost look and feel I often find hanging out near my eyes. You know the one I´m talking about. When only my right eyebrow raises, and a thin smile rests on my lips, as if amused, but completely confused. So yeah. I think I´ll leave in a day or two. I want to go hang out on the beach a few more times. Chill with my friends that are still here. Then pick up by bag and my hammock, and, as they say, "get the heck outta Dodge."

Obviously, I have no idea what is going on, or what is supposed to happen. So if you have any info about central and south america, or you have friends i can stay with, or you want to come with me, please please please let me know. I am simply following the signs. If you have no information, don´t know anyone, nor do you want to come with me, please remove yourself from the rock you´ve been living under.

It´s just better for the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment