Friday, December 12, 2008

Pura Vida

Written 13-4-08

Today was one of those days where I have to bow to stereotypes and say, with my best hippie voice, "How amazing is Mother Nature?" because it's only way it can be described.

I find myself in the midst of tranquility. Archipelago Bocas del Toro, Isla Colon, Panama to be more exact. This morning, accompanied by a few new friends from the hostel, I hopped on a water taxi for a short ride to another island, bound for the beach. After swimming in the ever-clear waters and tanning in the ever-present sun of the Caribbean, I took a little walk away, exploring further.

The landscape of the islands is pretty incredible. From the ocean you have about 10-12 feet of beach, then instantly dense jungle. It's quite breath-taking. All alone, as I step over tree roots, sea shells, and budding palm trees just sprouting from the coconut, my mind wanders...

"If I was to be hit in the head with a coconut, what a way to go. I guess it just means that it is definitely your time. Unstoppable. At least I would have died knowing I had great life, I was barefoot, and walking around on a tropical island..."

Well, I just googled "death by coconut" and turned up some interesting information. Apparently about 150 people per year die due to coconut related incidences. Also, for further knowledge of completely useless information, that is 15 times the amount of people eaten by sharks per year. Ahh, the internet...technology always amazes me.

Back to the story. So the walk was amazing. Just me out there, with only the sounds of the wind, sea, and a strange clicking noise from small crabs to keep me company. I walked as slowly as possible so as not to miss anything, my toes skimming the top of the warm water as i stepped lightly over delicate seashells. I don´t know if you´ve ever taken a good look, but seashells are very intricate in design, and always astound me and make me appreciate the detail that goes into the tiniest of things. Heading towards a hill that looks out on the ocean and other islands, I climb over roots surfacing from the forest and try not to step on the thousands of holes made by the crabs, who seem to have it made with their beachfront property. I make it to the top, sit town, and try to take it all in. I am so fortunate for my life, for the experiences I have, for the people I am blessed to know, for my barefoot lifestyle.

The Costa Ricans have an excellent saying...Pura Vida. Pure Life.

I think they, along with the lovely people of Panama, have figured something out. I sat there, thinking of all the people that I wished were sitting next to me, experiencing it with me. My family, my friends, my loved ones. But then I realized that they are with me, in my heart. You were there today, sitting on that little grassy hill with me, staring out at the ever-moving, ever-changing Caribbean ocean, watching the world go by.

All you have to do is close your eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment